June 08, 2012

Moving On Up


Yesterday my boyfriend had his convocation ceremony from college! It's been a long time since I've been to one and the last was my own from high school haha. I was kind of surprised by the number of people who didn't show up for their own graduation but whatever floats your boat. It just made the ceremony go by faster! I was disappointed the weather was so ugly though. No good opportunities to take photos with the scenery. And my flats were digging into the back of my feet. I couldn't wait to get home and take my shoes off.

They keynote speaker for his ceremony was really inspiring but unfortunately I can't remember his name! All I remember is that he just co-authored a book with John Furlong, CEO of the 2010 Winter Olympics. (ETA: His name is Gary Mason) I loved how he didn't sugar coat what the future may be like for some. That is, it's not going to be all sunshine and butterflies. There will be good times and bad times ahead. He related this to his own life post-graduation and said he couldn't find a steady job in his field of education. He received numerous rejection letters from companies he applied to but rather than throwing them away at an instant he said he kept them all in a shoebox. Why? He did so so that when he made a name for himself and was successful, all of these companies could see what they passed up on. Talk about motivation even when times are tough!

Truth be told, of course we're not all going to be famous and known around the world, but despite that sometimes you have to make the best out of the worst. You may not be where you want to be right away but things can get better with the right attitude and patience.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your boyfriend! Haha I wasn't too excited for my graduation ceremony either, I went because my parents wanted me to go. The weather was horrible - I graduated in the winter and it was snowing! Given the economy now, it's definitely hard to find a job after graduation and no one really seems to end up in their field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maddy! He appreciates the thanks :) Ahhh I can't imagine graduating during the winter and with snow! SFU has their convocation outside so I'm doing my best to graduate in the summer to avoid any bad weather, but given what this year was like I won't get my hopes up haha. Job searching has definitely remained a struggle the past few years, but sometimes it can open new doors to what people thought they would never be interested in. I think it comes does to the attitude you take to get through it.

      Delete
    2. Oops that second sentence came out totally wrong. Brain fart. He appreciates your congratulations** haha.

      Delete